Festival Khamoro takes place last week in May in Prague since 1999 a since that time was under patronage of many significant persons such as former president Václav Havel, chairmen of the Senate Petr Pithart and Libuše Benešová, chief officer of European Commission representation in Czech republic Ramiro Cibrián, mayor of capital city of Prague Pavel Bém and others. Last year Khamoro 2007 was under patronage of Prime Minister Mirek Topolánek. Since the first year is the co-organizer of the festival Capital city of Prague. Czech government regularly supports festival Khamoro.
Aims of the festival:
- To show the richness of Roma culture and traditions, which are part of Czech both European and world culture
- To contribute to the integration of Roma community into Czech society and development of multicultural society
- To contribute to the improvement of relations between major society and Roma community through presentation of Roma culture
Program scheme of the festival:
- Cultural program
- Expert part
- Media campaign
- Festival presents the top artists from all over the world. Beside the most popular traditional Gypsy music is within the program presented also Gypsy jazz and modern forms of Gypsy music.
- Part of cultural program are also other events such as exhibitions, film screenings or dance workshops
- One of the most popular parts of the festival is traditional parade of artists in the Prague center. The aim is to present Roma culture to general public on public places.
- Expert seminars or conference are integral part of the festival and present issues such as Roma culture, Roma integration and other Roma issues.
- The aim of the campaign is to call attention to the festival but at the same time to the Roma issue as such
- About festival Khamoro inform also European media such as CNN, BBC, Deutche Welle, Arte